The Way of Discernment Participant’s Book Stephen V. Doughty, Marjorie J. Thompson
How do you discover God’s guidance for personal and congregational decisions? Explore paths to clarity in The Way of Discernment, a 10-week study for small groups.
Who is this book designed for?
* People yearning to hear the Holy Spirit’s guidance
* Individuals looking for direction in vocation or life changes
* Church leaders seeking clarity about their congregation’s distinctive mission
* Christians searching for God’s will in matters of belief, ethics and faithful living
Part of the Companions in Christ series, The Way of Discernment offers a biblical, theological and practical framework for understanding the practice of discernment. It provides
* Principles of personal and group discernment
* Daily exercises to help you move from information to experience
* Weekly meeting plans (in Leader’s Guide) designed for group sharing and worship
* Penetrating questions to aid the process of discernment
A Leader’s Guide is available.
Drawing on both classic (Augustine, Ignatius of Loyola) and contemporary authors (Dietrich Bonhoeffer, Rose Mary Dougherty), Steve Doughty’s The Way of Discernment is a journey into a spiritual practice readers are sure to enjoy. He guides the participant through authentic stories that span the globe and yet are as close as childhood memories. Combined with selected scriptures, these illustrations create touchstones along the way. Powerful quotes from discerning authors, along with Marjorie Thompson’s thought-provoking questions, deepen one’s faith and complement the exploration of the practice of discernment. Both individuals and groups will be blessed by taking on the challenging commitment to be discerning disciples in the church and the world.—Mary A. Morrison, Associate for Vocations and Education , Foothills Presbytery Simpsonville, South Carolina